218 E Franklin Street Monroe, NC 28112 (704)282-4700

Police FAQ

When to call 911

Call 911 only for emergencies – situations where immediate police, fire or ambulance assistance is needed. For non-emergency situations, call (704) 289-1591. Examples include dogs barking, loud music complaints or directions.

Automobile Accidents

If you are involved in a minor accident where there are no visible signs of injury to persons involved and the vehicles are drivable, move your vehicle out of the traveled portion of the roadway. Cars left in the road contribute to traffic congestion which can cause other accidents. Call 911 and exchange driver information. DO NOT leave the scene until you have spoken to the police officer.

Community Watch Program

The foundation for creating and maintaining neighborhood crime prevention groups (Community Watch) is based on the assumption that a group of people in the neighborhood can come together to reestablish informal control, and can thereby increase the quality of life and reduce the crime rate in the neighborhood. Neighborhood Crime Prevention is based on the objective of removing opportunities for people to commit crime rather than attempting to change an offender or motivation. If you are interested in establishing a community watch program within your community contact the Officer Shawn Parler at sparler@monroenc.org

Fingerprint Service

The Monroe Police Department provides fingerprinting Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. There is a $10 fee for fingerprinting which is to be paid to the City of Monroe Customer Service located at 201 E. Windsor Street, Monroe, NC 28112 (building behind the Police Department). A copy of the receipt and a picture ID are required to obtain fingerprints. We do not provide electronic fingerprinting

It should be noted that:

  • The Police Department does not fingerprint for immigration or naturalization purposes.
  •  We are not certified fingerprint technicians.
  •  We do fingerprints as a courtesy to our citizens.
  •  We are not responsible for returned fingerprints.
Handgun Permits

The Sheriff’s Office issues permits to purchase a handgun and to carry a concealed handgun. The State Bureau of Investigation has permit statistics and other firearms law information.

Police Case Status

If you want more information about your case, the best way is to speak with the officer that took your report. Patrol officers usually investigate their own cases. If it is a case that demands considerable departmental resources, it will be reassigned to the Criminal Investigations Bureau and you will be contacted by an investigator.

If your case involves a juvenile (anyone under 16 years of age), it may be referred to the Juvenile Investigator and you will be contacted by a Juvenile Investigator.

Under normal circumstances, the officer or investigator will notify you of any important developments in your case. We encourage you to maintain contact with the police department and to call if you have any questions or concerns about your case.

Contact Information:

Patrol Division (704) 282-4700
Criminal Investigations (704) 282-4744
Administrative Division (704) 282-4728

Police Department Employment
Police Report Copies

Contact the Records Division.

How to hire a police officer for my special event?

A police officer can be hired to do similar jobs that an officer can do when working for the City of Monroe. Some examples of jobs officers are hired for are crowd control, direct traffic, employee terminations or general security. Officers are prohibited from doing jobs outside of the scope of their job description with the City of Monroe Police Department. Please contact the Sgt. Craig Bradshaw at (704) 282-4779 for more information.

How to File a Commendation or Complaint

If you have been assisted by a Police Department employee and wish to praise or commend the employee, or if you feel you have been treated improperly by a Police Department employee, or if you have a significant concern regarding the actions of a Police Department employee, please see Commendation/Complaint Page